1. Peel the potatoes and cut into slices about 3?8 inch thick.
2. Finely mince the onion.
3. Place the potato slices in a large pot with enough water to cover by an inch or so. Bring to a gentle boil and partially cook for 20 minutes or until tender but firm.
4. Transfer the slices to a bowl of cold water. When cool, drain them well and pat dry. Arrange the slices in a single layer in a 13 x 9 inch casserole or baking dish.
5. Mix together the breadcrumbs, garlic, onions, and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
6. Sprinkle about a third of the breadcrumb mixture over the layer of potatoes. Next add a layer of cheddar cheese (about a third). Top with dots of butter. Repeat the layers.
7. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 1 hour. Let rest about 10 minutes before serving.
When boiling the potatoes in Step 3, don’t let them get too soft or they will fall apart when you layer them.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.