Total Calories: 550
1. Prepare the ginger-garlic paste. To prepare the okra, cut a thin slice from the stem end and discard. Then, starting at the stem end and stopping about 3/4-inch from the tip, split each okra in half lengthwise most of the way through. (Do not cut the okra into 2 pieces both cut sides should remain attached at the tip.) Then toss with 1 tablespoon oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and spread evenly on a baking sheet or broiler pan.
2. Preheat the broiler and broil the okra 4 to 5 inches from the heat source until the tops are browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn off the broiler and heat the oven to 450°F. Place the sheet with the okra on the lowest rack in the oven and bake until the bottom is golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. (With the okra subjected to heat once from the top and then from the bottom, there is no need to stir.)
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick wok or saucepan over medium-high heat and add the cumin seeds they should sizzle upon contact with the hot oil. Quickly add the coriander, garam masala, turmeric, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Then add the tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, green chili pepper, and cilantro (reserving some for garnish), and cook, stirring until most of the juices evaporate and the sauce is thick, about 7 minutes.
5. Mix in the yogurt, a little at a time, stirring constantly to prevent it form curdling, then add the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and simmer until the sauce is thick and smooth, about 10 minutes.
6. Place the okra on a serving platter and drizzle the sauce on top as a garnish, making sure that parts of the okra are visible through the sauce. Top with cilantro and garam masala, and serve.
From "1,000 Indian Recipes." Copyright 2002 by Neelam Batra. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.