1. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Melt the chocolate with 1/2 cup of the cream in a 2-quart saucepan over low heat or in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Remove from heat.
2. Combine the remaining 1 cup cream, the milk, and sugar in a saucepan and warm over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves.
3. Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl, then slowly stir in the warm cream mixture. Pour the resulting custard mixture through a fine sieve into the melted chocolate and stir to combine.
4. Divide the mixture among 6 custard cups and place them at least 1 inch apart in a baking pan. Add enough hot water to the pan to reach just under the lip of the cups.
5. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the custards are just set at the edges. They will continue to cook after you remove them from the oven, and the chocolate will harden as it cools. Take care not to overcook this custard is best when slightly soft. Loosely cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours.
TO MAKE AHEAD: Refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, for up to 1 day.
From From Our House To Yours. Compilation copyright © 2002 by Chronicle Books LLC. Foreword copyright © 2002 by Joyce Goldstein. Photographs copyright © 2002 by E.J. Armstrong. All rights reserved. First published by Chronicle Books LLC, San Francisco, California.
This Zuni's Café's Chocolate Pot De Crème recipe is from the From Our House to Yours Cookbook. Download this Cookbook today.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"Call it nutrition software, meal planning software, cooking software, recipe manager, or whatever you want. It is the software I use to stay healthy!"
"Your software is the best recipe organizer and menu planner out there!"
"Thank you so very much for creating such a wonderful cooking recipe program. I think this is the best recipe program there is!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.