Total Calories: 149
1. Break off the shiitake stems, or pry them out with a sharp paring knife. Discard the stems or reserve them for stock. Break or chop the shiitake caps into tiny bits. Quickly rinse and drain. Set aside.
2. In a large, heavy soup pot, heat the oil over high heat. Sauté the leeks and garlic for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add the thyme and wine and continue cooking over high heat until about half of the wine evaporates.
3. Add the vegetable stock, shiitakes, carrots, and barley, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook at a gentle boil until the barley is tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
4. Pour the hot water into a large glass measuring cup and dissolve 3 tablespoons of the miso in it by mashing the paste against the sides of the cup and stirring vigorously with a whisk or fork. Turn off the heat and stir the miso broth into the soup. Taste and add additional miso as needed for flavor, first dissolving the miso in a small amount of the soup’s broth. Add salt, if needed.
5. Serve hot, garnished with the parsley.
NOTE: Make vegetable stock from scratch or try a high-quality instant vegetable stock powder, such as Frontier brand (800-669-3275), available in many natural-food stores.
TO MAKE AHEAD: This soup is best eaten immediately after it is made, but you can prepare it through Step 3, let cool completely, cover, and refrigerate for up to 1 day. This soup does not freeze well.
TO REHEAT: Bring to a simmer over low heat and proceed from Step 4.
From From Our House To Yours. Compilation copyright © 2002 by Chronicle Books LLC. Foreword copyright © 2002 by Joyce Goldstein. Photographs copyright © 2002 by E.J. Armstrong. All rights reserved. First published by Chronicle Books LLC, San Francisco, California.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.