Total Calories: 385
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly oil a 6-by-9-by-2-inch earthenware or glass casserole dish.
2. Peel and wash the potatoes. Slice them into rounds about 1/8 inch thick. Toss the potatoes in a large mixing bowl with the onion, carrot, celery, leek, and garlic.
3. Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over high heat. When the oil is very hot, add the mushrooms and toss constantly for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they are moist and tender. The heat should remain high but the mushrooms should not brown. Remove the mushrooms from the pan, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
4. Arrange half of the potato mixture in the prepared dish. Season with salt and pepper. Layer half of the mushrooms over the potato mixture. Cover with the remaining potato mixture, season with salt and pepper, then top with the remaining mushrooms. Pour in the wine and broth. The liquid should come about halfway up the sides of the potatoes and mushrooms.
5. Seal the casserole very tightly with 2 or 3 layers of aluminum foil, making sure that no steam can escape during baking.
6. Bake for about 1 1/4 hours, or until the potatoes are tender and can be cut easily with a fork.
TO MAKE AHEAD: Let cool completely, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
TO REHEAT: Reheat in the microwave or in a preheated 350°F oven until heated through.
From From Our House To Yours. Compilation copyright © 2002 by Chronicle Books LLC. Foreword copyright © 2002 by Joyce Goldstein. Photographs copyright © 2002 by E.J. Armstrong. All rights reserved. First published by Chronicle Books LLC, San Francisco, California.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.