Total Calories: 299
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Stir in the molasses until smooth. Stir in the eggs until well combined.
3. Sift the flour, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves into the molasses mixture, and beat until smooth.
4. In a small bowl, combine the boiling water and baking soda. The mixture will be foamy. Slowly add the soda mixture to the batter, stirring until well combined. Check to make sure the butter is blended and uniform. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve warm, with whipped cream, if desired.
NOTE: For those who prefer a sweeter cake, increase the sugar by 1/2 cup or substitue dark or light molasses.
TO MAKE AHEAD: Let cool completely, wrap tightly, and store at room temperature for up to 3 days, or freeze in a self-sealing freezer bag for up to 1 month. Thaw, wrapped, at room temperature.
From From Our House To Yours. Compilation copyright © 2002 by Chronicle Books LLC. Foreword copyright © 2002 by Joyce Goldstein. Photographs copyright © 2002 by E.J. Armstrong. All rights reserved. First published by Chronicle Books LLC, San Francisco, California.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.