1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until the onions are translucent but not colored.
2. Add the potatoes, bell peppers, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Season lightly with salt.
3. Add the fish stock or clam juice and wine. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the stew has thickened slightly.
4. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add the tuna. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand until tuna is cooked until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Ladle into bowls, garnish with parsley, and serve.
NOTE: To peel and seed tomatoes, cut an X in the blossom ends and drop into a pot of boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds, or until the skin starts to wrinkle. Using a slotted spoon, transfer quickly to a bowl of cold water to halt the cooking. When cool to the touch, remove the skins and cut in half crosswise. Hold each half upside down over the sink and shake and squeeze the tomato gently to release the seeds.
TO MAKE AHEAD: Prepare through Step 4 and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
TO REHEAT: Bring to a simmer over low heat. Proceed from Step 5.
From From Our House To Yours. Compilation copyright © 2002 by Chronicle Books LLC. Foreword copyright © 2002 by Joyce Goldstein. Photographs copyright © 2002 by E.J. Armstrong. All rights reserved. First published by Chronicle Books LLC, San Francisco, California.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.