Total Calories: 147
1. Rinse the shrimp under cold running water, then drain and blot dry with paper towels. Set aside while you prepare the marinade.
2. Combine the garlic, scallions, ginger, chile, soy sauce, honey, and peanut oil in a large bowl and whisk to mix. Add the shrimp, tossing to coat. Cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 1 hour.
3. Preheat the grill to high.
4. While the shrimp marinates, prepare the sugarcane skewers. Peel the piece of sugarcane, using a sharp knife, then cut crosswise into 3-inch sections. Cut each section into 8 lengthwise strips, each about 1/4 inch wide (this will make 24 strips in all). Cut one end off each strip at an angle to make a sharp point. Set aside while you prepare the glaze.
5. Combine the 1/3 cup rum, the tomato paste, sugar, honey, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, allspice, and cloves in a small, heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until blended and the sugar is melted. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer to a syrupy glaze, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon rum, and taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as necessary.
6. Remove the shrimp from the bowl and make a "starter" hole through the center of each with a metal skewer, since the sugarcane strips are not stiff enough. Thread the shrimp on the cane strips, starting with the pointed end, 1 shrimp to each.
7. When ready to cook, oil the grill grate. Arrange the shrimp on the hot grate and grill, turning with tongs, until nicely browned on the outside and firm and pink inside, about 2 minutes per side. Brush the shrimp with the glaze as they cook.
8. Transfer the shrimp to serving plates or a platter and serve immediately.
Serves 6 to 8 as an appetizer, 4 as an entrée
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.