Total Calories: 160
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2. Place all of the jar ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, and stir until well combined. Add the butter, and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer set at low speed to form a thick batter.
3. Spread the batter evenly in an ungreased 8-x-8-inch baking pan, and bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until light brown in color.
4. Allow the shortbread to cool completely in the pan before cutting into 16 cookies (2-inch squares).
5. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
CREATING THE JAR
1. Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-pint wide-mouth canning jar.
2. Layer the ingredients in the jar as shown below, pressing each layer firmly with a flat-bottomed object, such as a tart tamper or the bottom of a narrow glass, after each addition. Make the layers as level as possible.
TOP of the jar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
BOTTOM of the jar
3. Secure the lid, and decorate as desired (see The Basics: 06-Creating the Jars DECORATING THE JAR). Attach the instructions for making the shortbread found in the Gift Jar Tags chapter.
From "The Mason Jar Soup to Nuts Cookbook." Copyright 2004 by Lonnette Parks. Used with permission of the publisher, Square One Publishers. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.