Total Calories: 738
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 9-x-5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
2. Place all of the jar ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, and stir until well combined. Set aside.
3. Place the buttermilk, butter, vanilla, and eggs in a large bowl, and cream with a whisk, fork, or an electric mixer set on low speed.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the milk mixture, and stir with a wooden spoon until just mixed. Do not overstir. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
5. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Then remove the bread and cool completely on a wire rack.
6. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
CREATING THE JAR
1. Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
2. Layer the ingredients in the jar as shown below, pressing each layer firmly with a flat-bottomed object, such as a tart tamper or the bottom of a narrow glass, after each addition. Make the layers as level as possible.
TOP of the jar
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups biscuit mix
BOTTOM of the jar
3. Secure the lid, and decorate as desired (see The Basics: 06-Creating the Jars DECORATING THE JAR). Attach the instructions for making the bread found in the Gift Jar Tags chapter.
From "The Mason Jar Soup to Nuts Cookbook." Copyright 2004 by Lonnette Parks. Used with permission of the publisher, Square One Publishers. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.