Total Calories: 165
1. Place the kidney, black, and red beans in a medium-sized pot. Add 6 cups boiling water, cover, and soak 8 hours or overnight.
2. Drain and rinse the soaked beans, and place them in a large pot with 6 cups fresh water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
3. Add the tomatoes and all of the remaining jar ingredients to the pot. Simmer another 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and continue to simmer another 45 to 60 minutes, or until the beans are tender and the soup thickens. Serve hot.
4. Refrigerate any leftover soup in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
CREATING THE JAR
1. Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
2. Place all of the seasonings shown below in a plastic sandwich bag. In another sandwich bag, place the split peas and lentils, and shake to mix.
2. Layer the ingredients in the jar as shown below, pressing each layer firmly with a flat-bottomed object, such as a tart tamper or the bottom of a narrow glass, after each addition. Make the layers as level as possible.
TOP of the jar
Premixed seasoning packet:
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
2 teaspoons dried minced onion
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/2 cup kidney beans
1/2 cup black beans
1/2 cup red beans
1 cup green split peas + 1/2 cup lentils
BOTTOM of the jar
*For pint jar, use half the ingredient amounts.
3. Secure the lid, and decorate as desired (see The Basics: 06-Creating the Jars DECORATING THE JAR). Attach the instructions for making the soup found in the Gift Jar Tags chapter.
From "The Mason Jar Soup to Nuts Cookbook." Copyright 2004 by Lonnette Parks. Used with permission of the publisher, Square One Publishers. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.