Total Calories: 289
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Generously grease a 12-cup (10-inch) bundt pan and set aside.
2. Place all of the jar ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, and stir until well combined. Set aside.
3. Place the eggs and applesauce in a large bowl, and blend well with an electric mixer set on low speed.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, and continue mixing for 2 minutes. Stir in walnuts, if desired. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove the cake and cool completely on a wire rack. Dust lightly with powdered sugar, if desired.
6. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
CREATING THE JAR
1. Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
2. Layer the ingredients in the jar as shown below, pressing each layer firmly with a flat-bottomed object, such as a tart tamper or the bottom of a narrow glass, after each addition. Make the layers as level as possible.
TOP of the jar
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
1/3 cup dark raisins
BOTTOM of the jar
3. Secure the lid, and decorate as desired (see The Basics: 06-Creating the Jars DECORATING THE JAR). Attach the instructions for making the cake found in the Gift Jar Tags chapter.
From "The Mason Jar Soup to Nuts Cookbook." Copyright 2004 by Lonnette Parks. Used with permission of the publisher, Square One Publishers. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.