Total Calories: 70
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2. Place all of the jar ingredients in a large bowl, and stir until well combined. Add the egg, oil, and water. Stir the ingredients together to form a soft dough.
3. Turn the dough onto a floured surface, and knead for 3 minutes. Using a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough to a 12-x-12-inch square that is 1/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into 1 1/2-x-2-inch pieces, or cut out shapes with your favorite cookie cutters. (Bone-shaped cutters are available at many pet supply stores.) Place about 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the cookies over. Continue to bake another 10 minutes, or until lightly browned on both sides. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
5. Store in an airtight container.
CREATING THE JAR
1. Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
2. Layer the ingredients in the jar as shown below, pressing each layer firmly with a flat-bottomed object, such as a tart tamper or the bottom of a narrow glass, after each addition. Make the layers as level as possible.
TOP of the jar
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup nonfat dry milk
3 tablespoons dry chicken gravy mix
3 tablespoons brown sugar
BOTTOM of the jar
3. Secure the lid, and decorate as desired (see The Basics: 06-Creating the Jars DECORATING THE JAR). Attach the instructions for making the dog treats found in the Gift Jar Tags chapter.
From "The Mason Jar Soup to Nuts Cookbook." Copyright 2004 by Lonnette Parks. Used with permission of the publisher, Square One Publishers. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.