Total Calories: 55
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a baking sheet and set aside.
2. Place all of the jar ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, and stir until well combined. Set aside.
3. Place the butter, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl, and cream with an electric mixer set on low speed.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, and continue blending until well combined. Stir in the almonds. Gather the mixture into a ball, and knead to form a moist cookie dough.
5. Divide the dough in half. If the dough is sticky, flour your hands before shaping each half into a 12-inch log. Flatten the logs slightly until they are about 1/2 inch high and 1 1/2 inches wide. Place them about 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until partially baked and beginning to dry. Remove the pan from the oven, and carefully transfer the logs to a cutting board. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, or until warm to the touch.
7. Using a serrated knife, cut the warm logs diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices. Arrange the slices cut side down on the baking sheet, and return to the oven for about 15 minutes to dry slightly. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
8. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
CREATING THE JAR
1. Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-pint wide-mouth canning jar.
2. Layer the ingredients in the jar as shown below, pressing each layer firmly with a flat-bottomed object, such as a tart tamper or the bottom of a narrow glass, after each addition. Make the layers as level as possible. For best results, when adding the flour, add a little at a time, firmly tamping after each addition.
TOP of the jar
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup sugar
BOTTOM of the jar
3. Secure the lid, and decorate as desired (see The Basics: 06-Creating the Jars DECORATING THE JAR). Attach the instructions for making the cookies found in the Gift Jar Tags chapter.
From "The Mason Jar Soup to Nuts Cookbook." Copyright 2004 by Lonnette Parks. Used with permission of the publisher, Square One Publishers. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.