Total Calories: 180
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Place all of the jar ingredients in a large bowl, and stir until well combined.
3. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the shortening into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the egg and enough of the water to just moisten the mixture. Form into a ball.
4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. With floured hands, gently knead the dough 12 to 15 times. Do not over knead. Pat the dough into a 1/2 inch-thick circle.
5. Using a floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit or cookie cutter, cut the dough into rounds. Place the rounds 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
6. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Transfer the scones to wire racks and cool slightly. Serve warm.
CREATING THE JAR
1. Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
2. Layer the ingredients in the jar as shown below, pressing each layer firmly with a flat-bottomed object, such as a tart tamper or the bottom of a narrow glass, after each addition. Make the layers as level as possible.
TOP of the jar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried lemon peel
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
1 cup dried blueberries
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
BOTTOM of the jar
3. Secure the lid, and decorate as desired (see The Basics: 06-Creating the Jars DECORATING THE JAR). Attach the instructions for making the scones found in the Gift Jar Tags chapter.
From "The Mason Jar Soup to Nuts Cookbook." Copyright 2004 by Lonnette Parks. Used with permission of the publisher, Square One Publishers. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.