Total Calories: 298
1. Place the kidney, navy, and black beans in a medium-sized bowl or pot. Cover with 6 cups boiling water, cover, and soak 8 hours or overnight.
2. Coat a medium-sized pot or Dutch oven with cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the beef, and cook, stirring constantly for 4 minutes, or until no pink remains. Remove any excess fat, and set aside.
3. Drain and rinse the soaked beans, and add them to the pot along with 6 cups fresh water and all of the jar ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the beans are tender. Stir the soup occasionally as it simmers.
4. Add the tomato juice and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer another 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
5. Refrigerate any leftover soup in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
CREATING THE JAR
1. Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-pint wide-mouth canning jar.
2. Place all of the seasonings shown below in a plastic sandwich bag.
2. Layer the ingredients in the jar as shown below, pressing each layer firmly with a flat-bottomed object, such as a tart tamper or the bottom of a narrow glass, after each addition. Make the layers as level as possible.
TOP of the jar
Premixed seasoning packet:
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dried cilantro
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/3 cup dried minced onion
1/2 cup black beans
1/2 cup navy beans
1/2 cup red kidney beans
BOTTOM of the jar
* For quart jar, double ingredient amounts.
3. Secure the lid, and decorate as desired (see The Basics: 06-Creating the Jars DECORATING THE JAR). Attach the instructions for making the soup found in the Gift Jar Tags chapter.
From "The Mason Jar Soup to Nuts Cookbook." Copyright 2004 by Lonnette Parks. Used with permission of the publisher, Square One Publishers. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.