Total Calories: 164
1. Coat a large pot or Dutch oven with cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the beef, and cook, stirring constantly for about 4 minutes, or until no pink remains. Remove any excess fat.
2. Add the broth and all of the jar ingredients except the macaroni to the pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally.
3. Add the macaroni, and continue to simmer another 10 minutes, or until the peas are tender and the macaroni is cooked. Serve hot.
4. Refrigerate any leftover soup in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
CREATING THE JAR
1. Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
2. Place the macaroni in a plastic sandwich bag.
3. Layer the ingredients in the jar as shown below, pressing each layer firmly with a flat-bottomed object, such as a tart tamper or the bottom of a narrow glass, after each addition. Make the layers as level as possible.
TOP of the jar
1/2 cup elbow macaroni
1 teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons celery flakes
1/2 cup dried onion flakes
1 cup pearl barley
1 cup lentils
1 cup green split peas
BOTTOM of the jar
*For pint jar, use half of the ingredient amounts.
3. Secure the lid, and decorate as desired (see The Basics: 06-Creating the Jars DECORATING THE JAR). Attach the instructions for making the soup found in the Gift Jar Tags chapter.
From "The Mason Jar Soup to Nuts Cookbook." Copyright 2004 by Lonnette Parks. Used with permission of the publisher, Square One Publishers. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.