Total Calories: 135
1. Place all of the jar ingredients in a medium-sized pot. Add the water and stir well.
2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, stir, and cover. Stirring occasionally, simmer for 1 hour, or until the rice and barley are tender and the stew is thick. Serve hot.
3. Refrigerate any leftover stew in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
CREATING THE JAR
1. Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-pint wide-mouth canning jar.
2. Layer the ingredients in the jar as shown below, pressing each layer firmly with a flat-bottomed object, such as a tart tamper or the bottom of a narrow glass, after each addition. Make the layers as level as possible.
TOP of the jar
1/2 cup barley
1/3 cup imitation bacon bits
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
1/2 cup white rice
1/2 cup dried minced onion
BOTTOM of the jar
*For quart jar, double ingredient amounts.
3. Secure the lid, and decorate as desired (see The Basics: 06-Creating the Jars DECORATING THE JAR). Attach the instructions for making the stew found in the Gift Jar Tags chapter.
From "The Mason Jar Soup to Nuts Cookbook." Copyright 2004 by Lonnette Parks. Used with permission of the publisher, Square One Publishers. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.