Total Calories: 219
1. TO MAKE THE SALSA: Heat a large, empty skillet over medium-high heat. Break the chilies open and discard the seeds and stems. Open up the chilies and place them in the skillet. In batches, toast the chilies, occasionally turning and pressing them flat with a metal spatula, until they are pliable and the color has deepened, about 1 minute. They should be toasted, but not scorched. Place the toasted chilies in a medium bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand until the chilies soften, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving the soaking liquid.
2. In a blender, combine the drained chiles, onion, garlic, oregano, and cumin. With the machine running, add enough of the soaking liquid to make a smooth puree, about 3/4 cup.
3. In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the chili puree and cook, stirring almost constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the cilantro and salt. (The sauce can be prepared up to 2 days ahead, cooled, covered, and refrigerated. Serve at room temperature.)
4. TO MAKE THE TOSTADITAS: Position racks in the center and top third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the tortilla wedges on 2 baking sheets. Bake, switching the positions of the sheets from top to bottom halfway through baking, until the tortillas are slightly dried, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
5. Line 2 baking sheets with paper towels and set aside. In a deep Dutch oven, melt vegetable shortening over high heat to a depth of 2 to 3 inches and heat it to 365°F. In batches, without crowding, deep-fry the tortillas until golden brown, less than 1 minute. Using a wire-mesh skimmer, transfer to the paper towels to dry. (The chips can be prepared up to 8 hours ahead, stored uncovered at room temperature.) Just before serving, sprinkle the chips with salt. Serve with the sauce for dipping.
VARIATION: Stir 1/2 cup plain yogurt into the cooled salsa. This makes a mellower dip that some cooks may prefer.
This Tostaditas With Ancho Salsa Roja recipe is from the Fried & True: Crispy and Delicious Dishes from Appetizers to Desserts Cookbook. Download this Cookbook today.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.