Total Calories: 217
1. Turn oven on to 375°. Grease the bottom of an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with shortening or margarine.
2. Measure milk in a 1-cup or 2-cup glass measuring cup. Stir in vinegar and let stand for 1 minute. Note: This will make "sour milk."
3. While the milk is souring, place flour, brown sugar and salt in a large mixer bowl. Stir to blend. Add 1/3 cup butter or margarine. With clean hands, mash the butter into the flour until the mixture is like small crumbs.
*5. To the mixture left in the mixer bowl, add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir until blended. Set aside to use later.
6. Add eggs to the sour milk and beat well with a fork. Stir into the dry mixture in mixer bowl along with the vanilla until blended. Turn electric mixer on to low speed and beat until well blended and smooth. Pour batter into greased pan. Sprinkle nut-crumb mixture over batter.
7. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center of the cake comes out clean. Carefully remove from oven with hot pads. Cut into squares and serve warm from the pan.
High Altitude Adjustments: This recipe works as well at 6,000 feet as it does at sea level.
Note: Cake can be served as a quick coffee cake, too.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.