Greek nonfat yogurt steps in for sour cream and adds a creamy, tangy taste to this winter favorite side dish.
1. PEEL POTATOES AND CUT INTO 2-INCH CUBES. PLACE POTATOES IN A HEAVY SAUCEPAN (EQUIPPED WITH A TIGHT FITTING LID). ADD ABOUT 2 INCHES OF COLD WATER AND SPRINKLE WITH KOSHER SALT AND PEPPER.
2. COVER THE SAUCEPAN AND PLACE OVER HIGH HEAT. WHEN YOU SEE STEAM ESCAPING FROM THE LID (NO PEEKING!) IMMEDIATELY REDUCE FLAME TO LOW AND COOK THE POTATOES ABOUT 20-22 MINUTES OR UNTIL FORK TENDER.
3. DRAIN ANY EXCESS WATER FROM THE POTATOES AND PLACE BACK ON HEAT TO DRY (30 SECONDS). USING A POTATO MASHER OR RICER; MASH POTATOES UNTIL SMOOTH. ADD CHICKEN BROTH AND YOGURT AND CONTINUE TO MASH. SEASON POTATOES, ADD CHIVES AND SERVE WITH ROASTED MEATS OR CHICKEN. POTATOES CAN BE KEPT WARM IN A VERY LOW OVEN (275 DEGREES F) OR DOTTED WITH BUTTER AND REHEATED IN A 350 DEGREE F OVEN FOR 20-25 MINUTES.
VARIATIONS: ADD THE FOLLOWING IN STEP 3.
• ROASTED GARLIC: PLACE 15-16 CLOVES IN AN OVEN TO TABLE DISH DRIZZLE WITH OLIVE OIL AND ADD 1/2 CUP WATER. ROAST IN A 350 DEGREE F OVEN FOR 30-35 MINUTES ADDING WATER IF NEEDED UNTIL GARLIC IS VERY TENDER.
• WASABI: ADD 1 TBSP. WASABI PASTE TO POTATOES
• HORSERADISH: ADD 2 TBSP. PREPARED HORSERADISH TO POTATOES.
• PARMESAN PEPPERCORN: ADD 1/2 CUP GRATED PARMESAN AND 2 TSP. CRACKED BLACK PEPPER TO POTATOES.
• PESTO: ADD 2 TBSP. PREPARED PESTO AND1/2 CUP GRATED PARMESAN TO POTATOES.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.