1. Place the first five ingredients in a bowl and stir together
2. Add yeast, stir around, and let sit for a few minutes to "proof"
3. Combine five cups flour with the vital wheat gluten and whisk together
4. Slowly stir in flour/wheat gluten mixture to the bowl 1/2 cup at a time
5. Knead in remaining whole wheat flour just until the dough is tacky to the touch, but not sticky. This will keep the bread light and fluffy. It will likely not exceed 6 1/2 cups of flour, but if it still feels too sticky, knead in more flour. Never add more than the 7 1/2 cups of flour. Be careful not to over mix the dough as this will make the bread too tough.
6. Place the dough in a bowl sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and cover with a towel. Let the dough sit for 30-40 minutes in a warm place.
7. Grease two bread pans generously with shortening
8. Once dough has nearly doubled in size, punch the dough down and place it onto a lightly floured surface
9. Divide dough in half and form into two balls
10. Roll out balls one at a time on a lightly floured surface into a long rectangular shape. Roll the rectangles of dough lengthwise until you form a loaf. Pinch the ends to help them stick together. Place the loaves seam-side down into the greased bread pans.
11. Cover loaves of dough with a towel and let rise in a warm place for about 35 minutes or until doubled in size
12. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
13. Bake both loaves of bread at the same time for 31-35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped on the top
14. Brush the tops of the loaves with butter immediately after being taken out of the oven and let cool on a cooling rack
15. Can eat immediately or wait until completely cooled down before storing in bread bags
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.