Eat Your Way To Healthier, Longer Hair!
It’s time to get real for a minute- postpartum hair loss is no fun. Or hair loss of any kind.
My 4th baby just turned 1 and I have lost a crazy amount of hair! I’ve also lost a lot of weight and wonder if that has something to do with it. Either way, I have literally been pulling out clumps of hair and have decided it’s time to do something about it. First, I chopped 12 inches off so I could donate it and start from scratch ;). Second, I have started taking a daily supplement of biotin. Third, it’s time to get as much help as I can from my diet! If you’re looking for ways to help your hair grow faster, stronger, and healthier, then read on!
1. Our hair is made from protein, right? So it only makes sense to increase our intake of protein if you want healthier hair! Eggs are a great snack that’s not too high in calories and is packed with protein. They’re also packed with Omega-3s and biotin, making this a superfood for your hair!
2. Spinach is full of health benefits, and one of those is a high dose of iron! Low amounts of iron in your body can actually cause more hair loss, as the necessary nutrients are not able to make it to the hair follicles, making them weaker and more likely to break or fall out. So follow Popeye’s example and “eats your spinach!”
3. If you’d rather avoid biotin supplements, add a few more whole grains to your diet! They are a great source of biotin which helps with the production of amino acids in the body- which assists in hair growth! You can also get a good dose by adding a handful of almonds to your diet.
4. Yellow peppers are a fantastic source of Vitamin C, which is fantastic news for your hair! Vitamin C helps to strengthen your hair follicles and prevents further breakage from happening. (You can always supplement with some oranges if you’re not a fan of yellow pepper ;) ).
5. Vitamin E helps get the right nutrients to your scalp as it helps with blood circulation. Avocados and sunflower seeds are not only great sources for this vital nutrient- they’re delicious! If you don’t love eating your avocados, you can also apply it as a hair mask to help stimulate the collagen and elastin production- double bonus!! Healthy skin=healthy hair.
6. Omega-3 fatty acids are wonderful for your hair- and it’s even more important to make sure you’re getting them in your diet since your body can’t make them by itself! Almonds and walnuts are terrific sources, as well as the aforementioned eggs ;)
7. Oysters are packed with zinc, which is a big deal! Zinc deficiency has been shown to lead to an unhealthy scalp and hair loss, so you definitely want to get this nutrient in your diet! If you’re not a fan of oysters, or you’re looking for something a little less exotic, you can try hemp seeds, red meat, other shellfish, cheese, and legumes.
It’s not surprising that the answer to healthier hair is a healthy diet!
Weekly Newsletter Contributor since 2014
Email the author! firstname.lastname@example.org