Try Something New!
Some of the most Under and Overrated Foods!
It seems like a lot of people are creatures of habit, related to food this means that once we find something we like we eat it all the time. It's not that we don't want to try new things we just don't. It never occurred to me that some of the things I eat might be overvalued and overrated. I decided to do a little search for some of the most overrated and underrated foods that people it. I was surprised by some of the things I found. Take a look and let me know if you agree with this list, if you have any amazing recipes we should try, or if this list is missing anything!
So what amazing foods are we all missing out on? Here's a short list of the underrated foods. Some of them I agree with and some of them I don't. How often do you eat these foods?
- Sauerkraut: Personally this is something that I would never eat, but apparently it has some health benefits that make it super underrated. The probiotic bacteria in sauerkraut are useful to digestion. It's also really cheap and super easy to make.
- Flowers: Did you know that you can eat a variety of flowers? You can use the flowers from a basil plant for example, just mince the flowers and add it to your pesto! A lot of flowers have a peppery zing.
- Asian Pears: it's a mix between a crisp apple and a very watery watermelon and it's delicious! This isn't a food you cook with but eat raw!
- Turnips: This is one that's kind of surprising, at least to me. Turnips are harvested multiple times a year but are most popularly enjoyed in the winter. Roast them and enjoy!
- Peanut butter: Peanut butter can be used for a variety of things and also makes a great classic sandwich. You can eat it plain, or add it to a soup or sauce to add a level of thickness.
- Mackerel: Mackerel is fairly inexpensive, and it's a good source of omegas!
- Mustard Greens: Similar to kale, but has a spicier, more mustardy taste.
- Beans, beans and beans: Beans are very underrated, they are filling, good for you and pretty cheap.
- Seaweed: Gross right? But apparently seaweed is pretty healthy and can be a good snack.
- Sunflower Seeds: I love sunflower seeds and they are a great addition to salads.
- Unsweetened Yogurt:
- Watermelon: Watermelon is delicious and it is a pretty versatile. Eat it plain, juice it, turn it into ice cream, or add it to a fruit salad for a yummy treat.
- Leafy Greens: Leafy greens are often overlooked, but they're really good for us!
- Egg yolks: Honestly who doesn't eat egg yolks?
- Coffee: I don't drink coffee, but there is some debate on whether or not there are health benefits to drinking it.
- Hard cheeses: Cheese is good, eat more of it.
- Mushrooms: I strongly disagree with this one, who wants to eat a fungus?
Now that you've seen some of the most underrated foods, what are some of the more overrated foods? Do any of these surprise you? I'm not going to write about these food items, but let me know what you think.
- Fingerling potatoes
- Angus Beef
- Brussels Sprouts
- Chicken Breast
- Mesclun Greens
- Vegetable Juice
- Pita Chips
- Energy Bars
Weekly Newsletter Contributor since 2013
Email the author! email@example.com