Chili-Cheese Corn Bread
Recipe from the March 2011 Newsletter
- 1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped mild green chilies
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and dust with 2 tablespoon of cornmeal; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour.
3. In another bowl combine buttermilk, eggs, cheese and chilies; mixing well.
4. Stir liquid mixture into the dry ingredients. Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until tested done when center springs back after being pressed.
Diabetic Food Exchanges: 1 Starch/Bread, 1/2 Fat
March 2010 Newsletter
Be sure to check the Cook'n Recipe Archive for more recipes.