1. Form the beef into a patty and place it in a heated frying pan over medium heat.
2. Flip the patty when halfway cooked and cook to desired doneness.
3. Place the cheese on top of the burger about a minute before the burger is done cooking. If the cheese hasn’t melted thoroughly, cover it with the lid of a pan for a minute or so.
Hamburger Cooking Times
The cooking time for a hamburger is determined by thickness not by weight. The following times are for a burger cooked over medium heat to medium doneness. For rarer burgers, reduce the time on each side by a minute or so; for well-done burgers, add a minute or two.
Thickness - Time Per Side
1 inch - 8 minutes
3?4 inch - 5 minutes
1?2 inch - 3 minutes
Try These Variations
Add 2 or 3 strips of cooked bacon to the cheeseburger.
Mushroom-Swiss Burger S
aute 1?4 cup sliced mushrooms and 1?4 cup chopped onions in butter or margarine about 5 minutes over low heat. Top the burger with a slice of Swiss cheese and top with the hot mushroom-onion mixture.
Make a cheeseburger using Monterey or pepper Jack cheese. Spoon some store-bought guacamole or Holy Guacamole on top, and add lettuce and tomato. Make sure you have plenty of napkins!
How to Make the Perfect Burger
* Buy fresh ground beef and avoid prepackaged varieties. The best place to find the fresh stuff is behind the meat counter at your grocery store. The fresher the beef, the better the burger.
* When forming patties, handle the beef as little as possible and don’t make them too firm. This will help keep the fat from breaking down in the meat, and result in a moist, juicy burger.
* Because burgers naturally shrink and thicken during cooking, make the patties flatter and wider than you want them for the serving size.
* Before cooking, make sure the pan or grill is heated.
* If using a pan, cook the burgers over medium heat (don’t crowd the pan). If using a grill, use high heat.
* Never flatten the burgers with a spatula as they cook. This will press out the juices and result in dry meat.
* Flip the burgers once when they are halfway cooked, then cook the other side.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.