9 Ways to Use Canned Chicken
My favorite brand is the Kirkland Signature canned chicken from Costco. It has the best flavor and best quality of chicken and the price is great too.
1. Quesadillas. Adding this canned chicken to quesadillas is a great way to add some protein to a quick lunch for your kids or yourself. Simply add some shredded canned chicken and cheese to one half of a tortilla, fold it over and cook in butter until cheese is warm and bubbly and tortilla is golden brown. To jazz up your quesadilla with more flavor you could:
- Sprinkle taco seasoning on chicken
- Add a can of green chiles
- Add pickled jalapenos
2. Chicken Pot Pie. Cozy chicken pot pie comes together really quickly canned chicken, frozen veggies and a frozen pie crust on a busy weeknight.
3. Enchiladas. Adding canned chicken to cheese and a can of enchilada sauce gets your craving for cheesy enchiladas faster than it would take to run through a driveway or get takeout at your favorite Mexican spot. Not to mention it is way more cost effective!
4. Caesar Salad. You can make a really nice Caesar salad starting with a bunch of romaine lettuce by adding a can of this chicken, and adding shredded Parmesan cheese, coarsely ground pepper, a squirt of lemon juice, and a clove of minced garlic to some premade Caesar dressing. Top with some croutons and you have a winning salad in about 5 minutes!
5. Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo. Dump a can of this in a pan, add a jar of alfredo sauce, boil some fettuccine noodles on the side and you’ve got yourself a quick and filling meal in no time!
6. Chicken Noodle Soup. With broth, chopped carrots and celery, seasonings, and a can of this chicken, you can whip up homemade chicken soup really fast. So easy to make if you have anyone feeling under the weather that could use a comforting bowl of soup. You could also use rice instead of noodles if that is what you have on hand.
7. Chicken and Dumplings. Start with broth, seasonings, mixed vegetables, canned chicken and then whip up a batch of dumplings using Bisquick and you’ve got another hearty meal in a flash.
8. Mustard Chicken Salad. Mix the canned chicken with mayonnaise, chopped onion, homemade mustard relish, a little vinegar, salt and pepper. It is so delicious on fresh bread or toast.
Also, don’t forget that you can also use the water from the canned chicken in other ways--don’t throw it out. You can use it to:
- Make rice
- Use it as the liquid to boil your ramen noodles in
- Replace chicken broth in soups
- Poach chicken
Canned Chicken Salad
Canned chicken is a life and time-saving pantry staple we should all regularly keep on our kitchen shelves. Here is a delicious canned chicken recipe I have been making my family for over twenty years. Canned chicken is one of the most convenient and inexpensive ways to add protein to a meal. Author: Cathy
Calories per serving: 286
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon ranch dressing dry mixes
1 can (12.5 oz) canned chicken, drained
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions (green parts only)
Add canned chicken to the mayonnaise mixture. The chicken will likely be in chunks so make sure you shred it with two forks before mixing the mayonnaise with the chicken.
Stir in celery and green onion.
You can add ground black pepper and salt if you like, but I never do.
Serve on toast, as a sandwich, over a bed of lettuce, on a toasted bagel, with crackers or plain.
Recipe formatted with the Cook'n Recipe Software from DVO Enterprises.
Weekly Newsletter Contributor since 2014
Email the author! firstname.lastname@example.org