25 Amazing Things to Do with Frozen Hash Browns
Frozen hash browns. They've tended to play third fiddle to French fries and tater tots at our house. But not anymore. Not since I found a yellowed Good Housekeeping article Aunt Annie had hidden in the back of one of her weathered cookbooks. (And just to show you how things recycle, you can find this same 32-year-old information on a website called Delish-www.delish.com!)
"25 Amazing Things to Do with Frozen Hash Browns" is the name of the article. I read in awe and was truly drooling at its conclusion. And you'll love this: Before launching into the list of how to use these tasty spuds, the author gave a tutorial on how to cook up these frozen morsels so they taste like those you get in your favorite restaurant. Here's how to make the best hash brown patty ever:
ü Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat in a medium nonstick skillet.
ü Add 2 cups frozen hash browns, using a rubber spatula to form a circular patty.
ü Cook until the potatoes stick together and the bottom is golden brown and crispy, 6 to 8 minutes.
ü Flip and cook until the second side is golden brown, about 6 minutes more.
Now, what shall we do with our frozen hash brown patties? Start drooling:
Top a cooked hash brown patty with shredded cheddar cheese, cooked and crumbled bacon, and diced scallions. Bake a few minutes until cheese melts. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream.
2. Make a smoked salmon galette: Top a cooked hash brown patty with creme fraiche, smoked salmon, capers, red onion, and dill.
Make nacho browns: Smear refried beans on a cooked hash brown patty and top with grated Cheddar cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with chopped avocado and pico de gallo.
4. Make sour cream, onion, and potato dip: Whisk 1 cup each sour cream and greek yogurt, 1 teaspoons garlic powder in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and whisk in 1/2 cup each cooked hash browns and chopped caramelized onions, and ¼ cup chopped chives.
5. Make Avocado Browns: Top a cooked hash brown patty with smashed avocado. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Season with crushed red pepper, flaky sea salt and black pepper.
6. Make a Muffaletta: Toss cooked hash browns with chopped salami, chopped giardinera, chopped olives, and chopped provolone.
7. Make Pesto Caprese: Spread pesto over a cooked hash brown patty. Top with sliced fresh mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, and fresh basil. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
8. Make Parmesan Snack Browns: Toss uncooked hash browns with melted butter and grated parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Bake according to package directions. Toss into salads or serve instead of popcorn.
Make Savory Quiche with a Hash Brown Crust: Press 4 cups raw hash browns into the bottom and sides of a greased a 9-inch pie plate. Season with salt and pepper and line with foil and pie weights. Bake at 425°F until golden brown and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Whisk 4 eggs, 1 cups milk, 4 crumbled bacon strips, 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese, and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, Season with salt and pepper and bake at 350°F until the center is just set, about 30 minutes.
10. Make Spicy Sriracha Hash: Mix ¼ cup mayonnaise with 2 teaspoons Sriracha and 1 teaspoon lime juice. Drizzle over cooked hash browns and top with torn cilantro.
11. Make Waffle Browns: Grease a preheated waffle iron with melted butter. Grill 1 package of hash browns on medium heat until crispy and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Make Hash Brown Egg Cups: Grease a buttered 12-cup muffin tin and press hash browns in the bottom and up the sides of the cups, dividing evenly. Bake in a 425°F oven the hash browns are golden, about 15 minutes. Crack an egg into each cup and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 325°F until the eggs are cooked through, about 15 minutes.
13. Make a Breakfast Burrito: Layer a warmed large flour tortilla with sliced pepper jack cheese, scrambled eggs, cooked hash browns, and hot sauce.
14. Make Steak Frites: Toss cooked hash browns with chopped seared steak and sliced cornichons.
15. Make Pizza Browns: Top a hash brown patty with marinara, shredded mozzarella, and pepperoni slices. Broil until the cheese is melted and the pepperoni is crispy. Top with grated Parmesan and crushed red pepper.
16. Make Hash Brown Benedict: Top a hash brown patty with Canadian bacon, poached eggs and hollandaise.
Make Croque Brown Madame: Mix together 1 tablespoon each mayonnaise and Dijon mustard. Smear on a cooked hash brown patty. Top with a slice of deli ham and grated Gruyere cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with either a fried or scrambled egg.
18. Make Hummus Browns: Smear a cooked hash brown patty with hummus. Top with chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumbers and torn cilantro. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and drizzle with lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
19. Make Breakfast Sausage Bake: Mix together ½ pound cooked, crumbled breakfast sausage, 1 package uncooked hash browns, 4 eggs, 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese and ½ cup half-and-half or whole milk. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a 2-quart baking dish. Bake at 350°F until the eggs are set and the potatoes are cooked, about 45 minutes.
20. Make Potato-Rosemary Pizza: Stretch 1 pound pizza dough into an 18-inch circle and transfer to an oiled baking sheet. Top with 1 cup uncooked hash browns, 1 cup grated Fontina cheese, 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary and crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in a 425°F oven until the crust is golden brown and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Top with lemon zest and serve.
Make a Hash Brown Quesadilla: Mix together 1/2 cup each cooked hash browns and cheddar cheese and place on ½ of a large flour tortilla. Top with 4 slices avocado and hot sauce and season with salt and pepper. Fold the tortilla over the filling and press in a seasoned panini press or in a buttered nonstick pan until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crispy.
22. Make Barbecue Chicken Browns: Toss cooked hash browns with shredded rotisserie chicken, grated smoked Gouda, finely chopped red onion and cilantro. Drizzle with barbecue sauce to taste.
Make Spinach, Artichoke and Hash Brown Dip: Mix together 2 cups frozen chopped spinach, 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1 cup chopped jarred artichokes, 8 ounces cream cheese, ½ cup each sour cream and mayonnaise, and 2 teaspoons garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a buttered 1 ½ quart baking dish and top with 2 cups uncooked hash browns. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt. Bake on the top rack of a 425º F oven until the dip is heated through and the hash browns are golden and crispy, 40 to 45 minutes.
24. Make Sweet Potato, Apple and Potato Hash Brown: Cook 2 cups uncooked hash browns, 1 grated small sweet potato, and 1 grated apple in 2 tablespoons canola oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet, letting the edges crisp and get golden. Flip once. Serve with pork chops or pork tenderloin.
25. Make Spanish Hash Browns: Toss cooked hash browns with chopped Manchego cheese, chopped green olives, and drained, patted dry and chopped jarred piquillo peppers.
Weekly Newsletter Contributor since 2006
Email the author! email@example.com