Potato Peeling Magic
When I was young my mom would always assign the kids the task of potato peeling. I don't think I realized back then just why we got that duty. Now I get it! Peeling potatoes can be down-right miserable. This little trick will save you tons of time and maybe bring potato salad back to your table a little more often. You will be peeling potatoes in seconds!
1) Bring a pot of water to a boil.
2) Score a slice around the middle of the potato (like a belt around its waist). Try to cut through the skin without cutting the potato itself.
3) Put the potatoes in the already-boiling water for 15 minutes.
4) Remove (with tongs) the potatoes, and place in a bowl of ice water to cool off. Let it soak in the ice water for 20-25 seconds.
5) Pick up the potato, and remove the peel with your hands. It takes very little effort to pull off the skin.
This same technique can be used when baking potatoes and sweet potatoes as well. Just score it, bake it, and after it has cooled a little you can pull it apart and scoop out the soft potato with a spoon. Easy! No more throwing away half of the potato because my kids don't want to eat anything near the skin.
Like this idea? Email me and tell me how it works for you and be sure to save it in Cook'n so you always have it at your fingertips.
(Photo courtesy www.thomaspeeters.com)
Join the Cook'n Club!
An unbeatable value with exclusive benefits for members only.
Get a newsletter like this each week when you join the Cook'n Club.