German Mole Cake
It’s referred to as “mole cake” because it’s like a mole hill that you’ll find in the backyard, a little mound in the earth with dirt scattered around – chocolate cake crumbs, in this case!
This cake is crumbly and inside you’ll find sweet and tart raspberries and bananas, topped with cream.
|for the dough:|
|7 ounces||soft butter|
|3 1/2 ounces||almond flour|
|3 1/2 ounces||all purpose flour|
|1 1/2 ounces||unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1 teaspoon||baking powder|
|for the filling:|
|9 ounces||frozen raspberries|
|14 ounces||whipping cream|
|1/2 ounce||confectioners’ sugar|
|pinch vanilla powder|
|whipped cream stabilizer* (or 1 tsp. confectioner's sugar or cornstarch)|
Note: The ingredients are by weight, since this is the "best" way to bake, making the finished dessert come out the same every time. Give it a try - pull out your scale and throw the ingredients in. Easy and much less messy. Have fun!
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C (convection oven 350°F/180°C) . Grease the baking tin. Take the raspberries out of the freezer and place on the counter to defrost.
2. Whisk butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in the eggs one at a time. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the ground almonds, flour, cocoa, and baking powder.
4. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, and stir to combine.
5. Pour into the baking tin and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
6, Now it’s all about “digging out” your cake: Carve it out with a spoon until there are about ¾ inches left at the bottom and edges. Set the crumbles aside.
7. Whip the cream and gradually add the confectioner's sugar and vanilla powder (as well as the cream stiffener, if the cake is not going to be consumed that day).
8. Drain the defrosted raspberries in a colander. Peel and slice the banana and distribute the slices evenly with the raspberries on the bottom of the hollowed out cake.
9. Place the whipped cream on top of the fruit, with a peak in the middle. Sprinkle the crumbles evenly on top of the cream so it looks like a molehill on your table. Chill the cake until ready to serve.