Quinoa Fried Rice
A healthy but delicious twist on Fried Rice.
|1 cup||quinoa (or 2 1/2 to 3 cups leftover cooked quinoa)|
|1 1/2 cups||water or low-sodium chicken stock|
|1/4||small onion, chopped|
|2||carrots, peeled and chopped|
|3||scallions, chopped and divided scallion|
|3||garlic cloves, minced|
|1/2 teaspoon||fresh ginger, minced|
|1 tablespoon||olive oil|
|2||eggs, lightly scrambled (still raw)|
|1/2 cup||frozen peas, thawed|
|1 1/2 tablespoons||teriyaki sauce|
|2 1/2 tablespoons||soy sauce|
|3/4 teaspoon||sesame oil|
1. Rinse quinoa a few times in cold water.
2. Bring quinoa and water or chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan, and then reduce to a simmer. Season with salt.
3. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until quinoa is fluffy and cooked through. Remove from heat and let set for five minutes or so. Fluff with a fork.
4. Cool and store in the fridge, preferably overnight.
5. Mix teriyaki, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
6, Heat ½ tablespoon olive oil in a large sauté pan over a high heat. Add onion and carrot, cook about two minutes. Add 2 scallions, garlic and ginger to the pan. Cook another two minutes. Add in the rest of the olive oil and the quinoa. Stir-fry about two minutes. Add sauce and stir-fry until incorporated, about two minutes. Make a well in the center of the quinoa pour eggs in, scramble. Throw in peas, then toss everything together until the peas are warmed through, add remaining scallion and serve.