New Tuna Casserole
Our take on the classic hits the high notes: creamy, cheesy, fresh, and crunchy. Resist digging into the casserole right out of the oven. Letting it stand for 10 minutes allows it to firm up to the perfect consistency.
|1 (16-ounce) package||ziti pasta|
|1 (8-ounce) package||thin green beans|
|6 tablespoons||butter, divided|
|2||medium leeks, thinly sliced|
|2 (4-ounce) containers||fresh mushrooms, sliced|
|1/4 cup||all-purpose flour|
|3 cups||heavy cream|
|1 cup||organic vegetable broth|
|2 cups||(8 oz.) shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese|
|6 tablespoons||grated parmesan cheese, divided|
|3/4 teaspoon||kosher salt|
|1/2 teaspoon||freshly ground black pepper|
|1 (12-ounce) can||solid white tuna in spring water, drained|
|2 tablespoons||chopped fresh chives|
|1 tablespoon||chopped fresh tarragon or parsley|
|1/4 cup||crushed potato chip|
|1/4 cup||panko (japanese breadcrumbs)|
|2 tablespoons||butter, melted|
|garnish: sliced fresh chives|
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover 30 seconds to 1 minute or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
3. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks, and sauté 2 minutes; add mushrooms, and sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer leek mixture to a small bowl. Wipe skillet clean.
4. Melt 4 Tbsp. butter in skillet over medium heat; whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in cream and broth. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low; gradually whisk in Cheddar cheese and 4 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese until smooth. Stir in salt and pepper.
5. Stir cream mixture into pasta. Stir in tuna, next 2 ingredients, beans, and leek mixture; transfer to a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
6. Stir together potato chips, next 2 ingredients, and remaining 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese in a small bowl; sprinkle over pasta mixture.
7. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.