Fantastic Cloverleaf Rolls
Prep Time: 2 hrs
Cook Time: 18 mins
|3 1/2 cups||all-purpose flour (more if needed)|
|1 tablespoon||dry yeast|
|3/4 cup||warm water|
|4 tablespoons||sugar, divided|
|1 cup||warm milk|
|1/4 cup||butter, melted and cooled slightly|
|1||egg, room temperature|
|melted butter, for tops|
1. Grease 12 jumbo muffin tins.
2. In a cup or bowl, combine yeast with 1 tbsp sugar in warm water; cover with plastic wrap, and sit for 10 minutes, or until the yeast is foamy.
3. In the mixer bowl, mix in 3 cups flour, the remaining sugar, melted butter, warm milk, egg and salt.
4. Add in the yeast/sugar mix.
5. With a kneader blade fitted on a heavy-duty mixer, knead and gradually add in the remaining flour, until a soft dough sticky is formed (do not add in too much flour, as the baked buns will have a heavy texture).
6. Remove from the bowl and let rest on the counter for 10 minutes, covered.
7. After 10 minutes, knead gently for about 30 seconds.
8. Coat a glass or stainless steel bowl with oil.
9. Transfer the dough to the bowl.
10. Cover; and let rise in a warm draft-free area, for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
11. Punch down the dough.
12. Remove from bowl then place the dough on the counter.
13. Slice the dough evenly in half lengthwise down the middle, set one piece aside.
14. Shape piece of dough into a chunky long rope using hands.
15. Slice into 18 even pieces (don't worry if each piece of dough is not the exact same size).
16. Shape into about 1-1/2-inch balls or a little more.
17. Place 3 balls into each muffin tin.
18. Repeat with remaining piece of dough and muffin tin.
19. Cover the tins with a clean tea towel and allow to rise warm place for 30-40 minutes (rising time will depend on the temperature of your kitchen).
20. Remove the tea towel; brush tops with melted butter.
21. Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes, or until buns are a dark golden colour.