1. Cut the potatoes into 1/2 inch slices, then cut each slice into 1/2 inch cubes. 2. Slice the green onions. 3. Cut the celery lengthwise into 1/8 inch strips, then cut each strip into 1/8 inch pieces. 4. Place the eggs in a large bowl and loosely chop with a fork. 5. Fill a 2 quart pot about two" thirds with water, add the potatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the potatoes 30 to 45 minutes until tender (see the important tip on the previous page). Drain in a colander. 6. Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix gently with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined.
7. Serve immediately or place in a covered container and refrigerate.
The secret to making perfect potato salad is cooking the potatoes to perfection—in other words, they should be tender. To test for doneness, after the potatoes have been cooking for 30 minutes, remove a cube every 2 or 3 minutes, let it cool, then bite into it. If it’s hard or crunchy, the potatoes are undercooked; if it’s mushy, the potatoes are overcooked; and if it’s tender, the potatoes are ready.
When stirring the ingredients in Step 6, it is best to use a wooden spoon. The sharp edge of a steel spoon can cut or chop the cooked potato cubes.
Try This Variation!
German Potato Salad
* Substitute 4 unpeeled red potatoes for the russets, and cut them into 1/4 inch slices instead of cubes.
* Substitute 4 crumbled strips of bacon and the bacon fat for the eggs.
* Substitute 1/4 cup white wine vinegar for the mayonnaise.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.