Total Calories: 355
1. Cut the tofu into 8 rectangular pieces about 1/2-inch thick (like fish sticks). Firmly but carefully pat each piece dry with a clean dishtowel, making sure not to mash the tofu.
2. Place the tamari in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, mix together the egg replacer and water with a fork. In a third shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal and black pepper.
3. Dip a piece of tofu in the tamari and coat on all sides. Wrap the tofu in a piece of nori, coat with egg-replacer, then dredge in the cornmeal. Repeat with the remaining tofu pieces.
4. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook 5 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown. Turn over and brown the other side. Remove the tofu and place on paper towels to absorb any oil.
5. Arrange the “fish” sticks on a serving platter and enjoy immediately.
For a Change . . .
* For a “Kentucky-fried” version of these tofu sticks, omit the nori and add 2 teaspoons paprika and 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage to the cornmeal mixture. After dipping the tofu in the tamari, dredge it in the cornmeal, coat it with egg replacer, and then dredge it once more in the cornmeal.
* For another “Kentucky-fried” version of this dish, use tempeh instead of tofu. You must, however, first steam the tempeh pieces for about 5 minutes before coating and frying.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.