Total Calories: 43
1. Cut the tempeh into 4 triangular-shaped wedges (about 1/2-inch thick). Then slice each wedge into 2 pieces (about 1/4-inch thick).
2. Place the garam masala, turmeric, water, and tamari in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the tempeh and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until browned on the bottom. Turn the slices over, remove the skillet from the heat, and slowly pour the masala mixture on top. (Be careful, it will steam and splatter.)
4. Return the skillet to the heat and continue to cook the tempeh uncovered for about 5 minutes or until the liquid is almost completely absorbed.
5. Season with a few twists of black pepper and serve hot.
For a Change . . .
* For a Japanese-inspired version, omit the masala and turmeric and add 1 tablespoon grated ginger, 2 tablespoons mirin, and 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil. Cook the tempeh in unrefined sesame oil instead of olive oil
* For a tropical-style version, replace the water with coconut milk and add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the marinade. Cook the tempeh in coconut oil instead of olive oil.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.