Total Calories: 668
Yield: 32 squares
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil an 8-inch-square baking dish and set aside.
2. Place the dates, raisins, vanilla, and nectar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer about 5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the dates have softened to a thick puree. Set aside.
3. Place 1 cup of the walnuts in a blender or food processor and coarsely grind. Coarsely chop the remaining walnuts on a cutting board with a sharp knife.
4. Place all the nuts in a large mixing bowl. Add the oat flour, barley flour, Sucanat, and cinnamon, and mix well. With a fork, slowly mix the oil into the flour mixture until it is thoroughly incorporated and resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Add a little more than half the crumbs to the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spread the date puree evenly on top. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs over the surface and press them lightly into the puree.
6. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is browned and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and cut into 2-inch squares. Let cool at least 30 minutes before removing the squares from the pan.
For a Change . . .
* Substitute either whole wheat pastry flour or oat flour for the barley flour. (To make oat flour, grind rolled oats in a blender.)
* Substitute chopped dried apricots (or other dried fruit) for all or part of the raisins.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.