Total Calories: 204
Yield: 8 rolls
1. Remove and discard any tough or damaged leaves from the cabbage and cut out the core. Place the cabbage core-side down in a large pot. Add the water, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer about 10 minutes. Remove the cabbage and let cool. Reserve the water for soup stock or another use.
2. To prepare the filling, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme, and saute 3 to 5 minutes or until the onion starts to soften.
3. Add the buckwheat and water and stir. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Add the tamari and mix well. Remove from the heat and let cool.
4. Once the cabbage is cool enough to handle, remove 16 leaves. Cut away the thick, tough part from the base of each. Place one of the 8 smallest leaves inside each of the 8 largest leaves to form a double layer.
5. Place a heaping spoonful of the cooled filling in the center of each set of cabbage leaves. Fold the top and bottom ends of the larger (bottom) leaf over the filling, then fold the right and left sides over to seal the packet. Place each cabbage roll seam side down on a plate and set aside. Reserve any remaining cabbage to use in soups or stews.
6. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil a 7-x-11-inch baking dish.
7. To make the sauce, mix together the tomato purée and sauerkraut, then spoon it into the prepared baking dish. Arrange the cabbage rolls seam side down on top. Cover with foil and bake 45 to 60 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
8. Transfer the cooked cabbage rolls to a serving platter. Add the tomato paste to the sauce that is left in the baking dish and stir well. Spoon over the cabbage rolls and serve.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.