Total Calories: 31
1. Using a sharp knife, cut the leafy green tops from beets. Scrub and trim the beets, slice, and place on a steamer basket that is set in a pot over an inch of water. Wash the leafy tops well, coarsely chop, and place on top of the beet slices.
2. Bring the water to a boil, cover the pot, and steam for 20 minutes or until both the beets and greens are tender. (Check the water level as they cook, adding more water if necessary.)
3. As the beets cook, combine the oil, lemon juice, garlic, tarragon, and salt in a small bowl.
4. Remove the cooked beets and greens from the pot with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a serving bowl. Add the dressing, toss, and serve.
For a Change . . .
* To save time, cook the beets in a pressure cooker. Simply bring the pressure up to high for a minute, then let it come down on its own.
* You can skip the steamer basket and cook the beets and tops directly in the pot in an inch or so of boiling water—the modified boiling method. For this, be sure to use a high-quality heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid.
To oven-bake beets, simply scrub them well, wrap in foil (or place them without foil in a covered baking dish), and bake in a 350°F oven for about one hour or until tender. When the beets are done, you can easily pierce them with a fork. Once they are cool enough to handle, remove the skin and slice. If the beets are organic and you enjoy eating the chewy skin, coat them lightly with olive oil and bake without covering. Served warm or cold, baked beets are delicious plain or topped with your favorite dressing. I recommend Favorite Flax Oil Dress - ing, Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette, Soyannaise, and Lemon-Shoyu Dressing.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.