Sweetened condensed milk is similar to evaporated milk, because 60% of the water is evaporated out of it. The difference, though, is that sweetened condensed milk is a mixture of whole milk and sugar. When all that water is removed, what remains is a sticky, sweet mixture great for desserts.
Cook's Tip: You can make your own sweetened condensed milk by following this recipe:
1. Combine 1-1/2 cup sugar, 2/3 cup water, and ½ cup butter in a 4 cup glass measurer or other microwavable dish.
2. Microwave the mixture on high for 1 minute. Stir.
3. Microwave the mixture on high for another minute. Stir.
4. Again, microwave it for 1 minute. Stir. Continue microwaving, stirring after every minute, until the mixture boils.
5. Pour the mixture into a blender and add 2 cups dry powdered milk. Process until smooth.
6. This makes 14-ounces (3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons) of sweetened condensed milk that you can use in any recipe calling for it.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.