Download this recipe.
1 package active dry yeast
2/3 cup warm water
2 to 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 cup shortening
1 tablespoon water
1 egg white
Sesame seeds or poppy seeds
1. In large bowl, dissolve yeast in 2/3 cup warm water (105 to 115°F.). Add 1 cup flour, sugar, garlic salt and shortening; blend at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in an additional 1 to 1 1/4 cups flour to form a soft dough.
2. Place dough in greased bowl; cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place (80 to 85°F.) until light and doubled in size, 30 to 40 minutes.
3. Grease 15x10x1-inch baking pan. On lightly floured surface, knead dough about 10 times or until no longer sticky. Roll into 15x10-inch rectangle; place in greased pan. Starting with 10-inch side, cut dough into 12 strips. Cut strips in half crosswise forming 24 sticks.
4. In small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon water and egg white; beat slightly. Brush over sticks. Sprinkle with sesame seed. Cover; let rise in warm place, 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Heat oven to 375°F. Uncover dough. Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan; cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Tip: For softer breadsticks, dough can be baked in greased 13x9-inch pan. Cut into 20 breadsticks
Contribute to the Cook'n Club!
DVO would love to publish your article, prose, photography and art as well as your cooking, kitchen and nutrition tips, tricks and secrets. Visit the Newsletter Submission / Win Win for All section in our Forum for more information and details.