What can I feed Wild Birds?
With summer clearly upon us and beautiful birds everywhere, what can I feed these Wild Birds?ANSWER:
Helping garden birds can be as rewarding for you as it is for them. By using bird tables and hanging feeders, you can bring wild birds right up to your window!
- Suitable seeds and grains (like nyjer, millet, oats, and sunflower seeds).
- Only feed peanuts if they're unsalted, fresh and sold for human consumption or by a reputable feed shop. To protect chicks from being fed whole nuts and choking, provide peanuts in good quality mesh feeders.
- Cooked pasta or rice, boiled potatoes, cheese, uncooked and unsalted bacon rind, raisins and sultanas.
- Net-free fat or suet balls attract a wide range of species and provide a great boost of calories.
- Apples, pears and soft fruits are popular and are a great autumn food.
- Insects such as mealworms or waxworms.
- Be careful! Grapes, sultanas, raisins and some artificial sweeteners are toxic to dogs.