Canning is a method of preserving food by first heating it to a temperature that destroys contaminating microorganisms, and then sealing it in air-tight jars, cans or pouches.
Food storage is both a traditional domestic skill and is important industrially. Food is stored by almost every human society and by many animals. Storing of food has several main purposes:
- Preparation for periods of scarcity or famine.
- Planning for catastrophe or emergency.
- Taking advantage of short term surplus of food as at harvest time.
- Enabling a better balanced diet throughout the year.
- Preparing for special events and celebrations.
- Protection against predators or others.
Do you can or store food? We'd like to know.
This months poll is a little different in that there are 2 parts. In order to select an answer in both the canning and food storage sections you need to select an answer, submit (and post a comment if you wish) and then return and select and submit your second answer. Select - submit - return - select - submit.
If you are interested in an accurate poll please don't select more than 2 answers.