Total Calories: 236
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté 3 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients except the pepper. Do not stir. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook slowly for 10 to15 minutes, or until the onions are browned.
2. Stir the ingredients and continue to cook another 3 to 5 minutes or until the eggplant is tender. (If needed, add up to 1/4 cup water to keep the vegetables from burning.) Add pepper to taste.
3. While the eggplant mixture is cooking, bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain in a colander.
4. Place the pasta on individual serving plates and spoon the eggplant mixture on top. Serve immediately.
For a Change . . .
* For a creamy sauce, blend a 12.3-ounce package of firm silken tofu in the blender. Add it to the pot once the eggplant is cooked and stir well. Heat up over low heat, but do not boil. After spooning the sauce over pasta, garnish with chopped tomatoes and parsley.
* For a Middle Eastern version, omit the chopped garlic and add 2 teaspoons cumin. When stirring the eggplant in Step 3, add 1/4 cup water. And when the eggplant is done cooking, stir 1/3 cup tahini and 1 pressed garlic clove into the mixture. Add cayenne pepper to taste. If desired, you can add 1 cup drained chickpeas. Also, try this version with brown rice or quinoa instead of pasta, and garnish with minced parsley and black olives.
* For a version with added nutrition, texture, and flavor, add 1 1/2 cups cooked cannellini, Great Northern, or white kidney beans to the pot in Step 3. Also add about 20 sun-dried tomato halves that have been cut into small pieces. Delicious over pasta, polenta, or brown rice.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.