Total Calories: 309
Yield: 9x13 inch flat loaf
1. To make the dough, place the water in a large mixing bowl. Add the syrup, oil, salt, and yeast. Let sit a few minutes until the yeast dissolves. (The mixture will bubble up and foam if the yeast is active. If it doesn’t, discard it and begin again with fresh yeast.)
2. Add the vital wheat gluten and 1 cup of the bread flour. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
3. Gradually mix in more flour, a little at a time, until the dough becomes too stiff to stir and begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead about 10 minutes, adding as much flour as necessary to make a soft, elastic dough that is not sticky.
4. Place the dough in a large oiled bowl, then turn it over so the top is coated with oil. Cover the bowl with a clean, damp dishtowel and let it sit in a warm spot for about 45 minutes or until the dough doubles in bulk.
5. Punch down the risen dough. Fold it a few times and press out any air bubbles with your palm.
6. Place the dough on an oiled baking sheet and flatten it into a 9-x-13-inch rectangle that is about 1/2 inch thick. With your finger, press little “dimples” into the surface of the dough every 11/2 inches or so.
7. Place all the topping ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Brush this mixture over the top of the dough. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise about 30 minutes.
8. Place the dough on the bottom rack of a cold oven. Set the oven to 400°F and bake the bread about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares and serve hot.
For a Change . . .
* Use this dough for pizza crust.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.