Total Calories: 734
Yield: 2 medium loaves
1. To make the dough, place the water in a large mixing bowl. Add the maple syrup, oil, salt, and yeast. Let sit a few minutes until the yeast dissolves. (The mixture will bubble up and foam if the yeast is active. If it doesn’t, throw it out and begin again with fresh yeast.)
2. Add the grated squash to the bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon. Add the vital wheat gluten and 1 1/2 cups of the bread flour. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
3. Gradually mix in more flour, a little at a time, until the dough becomes too stiff to stir and begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead for at least 10 minutes, adding as much flour as necessary to make a soft, elastic, non-sticky dough.
4. Place the dough in a large lightly oiled bowl, then turn it over so the top is coated with oil. Cover the bowl with a damp dishtowel and let it sit in a warm spot for about 1 hour or until the dough doubles in bulk.
5. Punch down the risen dough. Fold it over a few times and press out any air bubbles with your palm. Cover the dough and let rest for 10 minutes. (You can also let it rise a second time until doubled, and then punch it down again.)
6. Generously oil and flour two 8.5-x-4.5-inch bread pans and sprinkle some rolled oats on the bottom. Cut the dough in half and shape each half into a loaf, and place in the pans. Sprinkle the top of the loaves with rolled oats, cover the pans, and let the dough rise again for about 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
7. Place the pans on the middle rack of a 350°F oven. Bake for 50 minutes or until the loaves are golden brown and hollow-sounding when rapped on the bottom with your knuckle. Cool on wire racks before serving.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.