Total Calories: 3,341
Yield: 13 to 15 rolls
1. Begin preparing the dough. When it has doubled in bulk after the first rising, punch it down. Cover with a damp dishtowel and let rest 10 minutes.
2. While the dough is resting, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, basil, oregano, thyme, and salt, and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes or until the onions are very soft and tender. Remove from the heat and let cool a little until warm. (If the mixture is too hot, it will kill the yeast when added to the dough in the next steps.)
3. Flatten the dough into a 10-x-15-inch rectangle that is 1/2-inch thick. Spread the onion mixture over the surface and sprinkle with onion flakes.
4. Roll up the dough very tightly like a jelly roll, then pinch the edges together to form a seam. Slice the dough into rolls about 1-inch thick and set aside.
5. Coat the bottom and sides of a 10- or 11-inch cast iron skillet (or shallow baking dish) with the olive oil. Place the cut rolls on top.
6. Cover the rolls with a damp cloth and let rise for about 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Because of the warm onion filling, these rolls may rise a bit faster.
7. Bake the rolls in a 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
The Basic Whole Wheat Bread recipe yields enough dough to form two loaves. You can use one right away and freeze the other to enjoy later. I usually slice it before freezing, so I can easily pop the slices into the toaster. You can also use half the dough to make one loaf, and use the remaining dough to create rolls or a different type of bread. This dough is perfect for Delicious Onion Rolls, Sesame Cloverleaf Rolls, Cinnamon-Pecan Sticky Rolls, and loaves of Raisin Bread and Cinnamon-Raisin Swirl.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.