Total Calories: 73
Yield: 1 cup
1. Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the flour and mix well.
2. Remove the pan from the heat. While stirring vigorously, add a small amount of milk to form a paste. Return to the heat and add a little more milk, while continuing to stir vigorously. Continue adding milk while stirring until all the milk is used and the sauce is thick.
3. Add the salt and nutmeg and mix well. Use immediately.
For a Change . . .
* For Béchamel aux Fines Herbes, add some finely minced fresh parsley, chives, tarragon, rosemary, and/or any other herb of choice to the sauce when it is returned to the heat for the second time.
* For Béchamel Piquante, add 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard, or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the sauce when it is returned to the heat for the second time.
* For Mushroom Béchamel, sauté 1 cup sliced mushrooms in the oil (in Step 1) before adding the flour.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.