Caesar Salad with Garlic Croutons
this is a simple, scrumptious caesar salad topped with amazing garlic croutons. this is a recipe you have to try!
Dovetailing Tip: Use the caesar dressing you made on day 1 instead of the dressing in this recipe.
|a generous 1/4 cup pure olive oil|
|2||packed cups 3/4? bread cubes, cut from a good-quality baguette or italian loaf|
|pinch||large of salt|
|3||romaine hearts, separated into whole leaves|
|2 tablespoons||lemon juice|
|2 1/2 tablespoons||mayonnaise|
|5 tablespoons||pure olive oil|
|ground black pepper to taste|
|1/4 cup||grated parmesan cheese (preferably parmigiano reggiano), plus extra for sprinkling|
Heat a 10-inch skillet over low heat. With motor running, drop garlic cloves through feeder tube of a food processor fitted with the steel blade to mince. (A blender works as well.) Scrape down sides of bowl and add olive oil through feeder tube as well. Continue to process so that garlic releases its flavor into the oil, about 30 seconds. Strain garlic from oil through a fine-mesh strainer; reserve half of the garlic for dressing.
2. Increase skillet heat to medium. Place bread cubes in medium bowl. Drizzle garlic oil evenly over bread, along with big pinch of salt; toss to coat.
3. Add bread cubes to hot skillet and toast, turning the cubes and shaking the pan often, until crisp and golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Return croutons to bowl and set aside to cool while preparing salad.
4. Place lettuce leaves in a large bowl.
5. Whisk lemon juice, mayonnaise, half the reserved garlic, and Worcestershire in a small bowl.
6. Drizzle lettuce with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and toss lightly and carefully. (Clean hands work well.)
7. Drizzle lemon mixture over lettuce; toss again.
8. Sprinkle Parmesan over greens; toss again.
9. Sprinkle croutons over the salad; toss and serve, sprinkling each portion with a little more Parmesan cheese.