This uncommon no-bean chili combines ground beef, cinnamon, cloves and unsweetened chocolate in a traditional beef and tomato base. Serve this specialty over spaghetti noodles topped with shredded Cheddar cheese.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 bay leaf
1/2 square (1 ounce) unsweetened baking chocolate
2 (10-ounce) cans beef broth
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 6 minutes.
2. Add beef, in batches if necessary, and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned.
3. Add chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, cloves, bay leaf, chocolate, beef broth, tomato sauce, cider vinegar, and red pepper. Stir to mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
4. It is the best if you now refrigerate overnight.
5. Remove the bay leaf. Reheat gently over medium heat. Serve over hot, drained spaghetti. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
Help on downloading recipes
sure to check the Cook'n Recipe Archive
for more recipes.
Join the Cook'n Club!
An unbeatable value with exclusive benefits for members only.
Enjoy articles like this and many other benefits when you join the Cook'n Club. Click here to find out more.
© 2007 DVO Enterprises, Inc.